Dr. Yugen Zhang
Dr. Yugen Zhang is Co-Founder of Polymore Greentech and a Group Leader at the Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (IBN), A-Star, Singapore. He graduated from the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) in 1987, where he received his PhD in Chemistry in 1992.
After his Ph.D., he joined USTC as a faculty member and was promoted to Professor in 1999. He visited Riken (Japan) (1996 to 1997, 2000 to 2001), where he worked as visiting scholar in Prof. Zhaomin Hou’s group. Before he joined IBN in 2004, he had been working at Harvard University as a post-doctoral research associate in Prof. RH Holm’s group (2002-2004).
He has co-authored more than 190 papers and 50 patents. His main research areas include:
- Antimicrobial materials, focusing on development of green antimicrobial technologies
- Functional materials, specifically porous organic polymers and their biological applications
- Green catalysis for industrial applications.
His current research work is supported by several major funding agencies, including
- NRF-CRP (2018-2023)
- IAF-ICP (2018-2021)
- Industrial RCAs (2017-2020)
- ETPL GAP project (2018-2019)
- JCO project (2013-2016)
Dr. Zhang and his team have extensive antimicrobial development experience. His team has developed series antimicrobial technologies including
- Imidazolium based linear polymers and oligomers
- Eco-degradable (traceless) antimicrobial polymers
- Self-disinfection nano-structured surfaces
- Redox active composites as antimicrobial materials.
His antimicrobial technologies won:
- IChemE Global Awards 2016: High Commendation in Biotechnology and IChemE Singapore Awards 2016; Finalist for the Sustainable Technology Award and Research Project of the Year Award.